Click here to see a Butterfly emerge!
Since opening the Garden Center in 2006, we have absolutely loved helping you discover how to fill your backyard garden with the color and magic of butterflies! In addition to all the physical wonder and movement that butterflies bring, there are so many crazy cool things about them! Take a look at this list of just a handful of the most intriguing:
– Their wings move in a Figure 8 motion;
– They actually have clear wings that are covered with protective scales reflected in beautiful colors;
– Their eyes are made up of 6,000 tiny lenses and they can see UV light. Some butterflies have wings that have a hidden ultraviolet pattern that attracts mates.
– Male butterflies drink from puddles where they get salt and minerals they don’t find in flowers.
– Butterflies taste with their feet and soak up nectar, rather than sip it, with their proboscis, which is like a tongue that is shaped like a tube and it unfolds when they need a drink.
– Some butterflies fly faster than 30 mph!
– A group of butterflies is known as a flutter.
Butterflies love Salvia. The narrow trumpet-like flower makes a perfect chalice.